CHITTAURGARH CITY TRAVEL Guide
Chittaurgarh-The town of the brave,
known for its massive fort atop a hill, which can be
singled out for its glorious past.
The fort has checkered history, it has witnessed some of
the bloodiest battles iln history, three great Sakas and
some of the most heroic deeds of valor, which are still
sung by the local musicians. The antiquity of
Chittaurgarh is difficult to trace, but it is believed
that Bhim the legendary figure of the Mahabharta,
visited this place to learn the secrets of immortality
and became the disciple of a sage, but his impatience to
perform all the rites deprived him of his goal, and out
of sheer anger he stamped on ground creating water
reservoir, this reservoir is called as Bhim Lat. Later
on, it came under the Mauryas or Muri Rajputs, there are
different opinions as to when ilt came under the Mewar
ruler, but it remained the capital of Mewar till 1568,
when it was shifted to Udaipur.
It is believed that Bappa Rawal the legendary founder of
the Sisodia clan, received Chittaur in the middle of 8th
century, as a part of the dowry after marriage with the
last Solanki princess, after that his descendants ruled
Mewar which stretched from Gujarat to Ajmer, upto the
71,566 Area: 7sq.km.
SummerMax.33.8*c, Min.11.6*c winter Max. 28.3*c, Min.
Summer Light Cottons, Winter Woolens Best Season; Oct.
Rajasthani, Hindi & Gujarati;
Places To See
The Fort :
A standing sentinel to the courage and valor of
Chittaurgarh, it stands tall over a 180 meter high
hillock covering a massive area of 700 acres. The fort
is belileved to have been built by the Maurya rulers in
7th century AD.
The important monuments inside the fort are :
VIJAY STAMBH OR 'VICTORY TOWER :
Built by Rana Kumbha in 1440 , to commemorate the
victory over the combined forces of the kings of
neighboring Malwa and Gujarat, this tower is 120ft.
(36.5mts) high and has a girth of 30 ft. at the base,
the nine storied high limestone structure is richly
ornamented from top to bottom.
KIRTI STAMBH OR 'TOWER OF FAME :
Built iln the 12th century, dedicated to Lord Sri
Adinath Rishab deo, the first Jain Tirthankar. The 22
metre high structure ils rdeplete with figures from Jain
pantheon. There are several other Jain temples iln
RANA KUMBHA'S PALACE :
The largest monument of the fort, it is believed that
Rani Padmini committed Jauhar, in once of these
underground cellars. The palace is in ruins but
generates historical as well as architectural interest.
The original palace was believed to have been built by
Rana Hamir after regaining the fort in the first siege.
The Mewar power reached its acme during Rana Kumbha's
time, he was a great patron of art and architecture,
which is amply reflected in the palace.
PADMINI PALACE :
The palace of Rani Padmini who preferred death before
dishonor, and committed Johar, along with her entire
entourage before falling into the hands of Allauddin
Khilji. It was here that Rana Ratan Singh allowed a
glimpse of the legendary beauty to Allauddin Khilji. The
Zanana Mahal overlooks the pond, Padmini stood over here
and the reflection of her was shown in the water to
MEERA TEMPLE :
The temple is dedicated to the mystic poetess Meera, and
a devotee of Lord Krishna. Meera was born in Kurki
village near Merta to Ratan Singh Rathors, and was
married to Bhojraj son of Rana Sanga of Mewar. Legends
say that she consumed poison set by Vikramaditya but
nothing happended to her due to the blessings of Lord
Krishna. In front of the temple is the cenotaph (chhatri)
of Meera Bai's Guru Shri Rai Das of Banaras, inside the
cenotaph is carved a figure of five human bodies with
one head, depicting that all castes are equal and even
outcasts can attain God.
KUMBHA SHYAM TEMPLE :
Thetemple dedicated to Varah (Boar), the incarnation of
Lord Vishnu. It was built in 1448 AD. By Rana Kumbha
Mahasati cenotaphs The cremation site of the Ranas and
their wives, the sites are marked with Chhatris.
KALIKA MATA TEMPLE :
The temple is dedicated to Goddess Kali, the symbol of
power and valour. Situated towards the southern side of
the fort, it was built by Rana Hamir. Originally it was
built as a Sun Temple by Bappa Rawal in the 8th century,
but ws destroyed during the first sack of Chittaur. Rana
Hamir converted it into a Kali temple on regaining the
fort in the 14th century. The house of Chunda is
situated near the temple. There are several other
temples, within the ramparts of the fort like that of
the temple of Annapurana, Jain Temples etc.
JAIMAL AND PATTA'S PALACE :
Theruins of this palace remind once of the story of the
gallant Rathores Jaimal and Sisodia Patta the two great
warriors, who layed down their lives for the honour of
GOVERNMENT MUSEUM :
The magnificent Fateh Prakash Mahal has been converted
into a museum, which houses a rare and rich collectino
of sculptures from the fort and the temples. (Friday
GAUMUKH(COW'S MOUTH RESERVOIR) :
Situated near the Mahasati Chowk, the water from a
spring flows through a stone structure carved in the
form of a cow's mouth into the reservoir.
MOHAR MAGRI (HILL OF GOLD COINS) :
A small structure which was raised during the invasion
of Chittaurgarh by Akbar in 1567, it gets the name Mohar
Magri because it is believed that Emperor Akbar paid one
mohar (gold coin) for each basketful of earth placed on
the mound, as the work was very dangerous, brave
soldiers guarding the the ramparts fromabvoe. The mound
was raised to such a height that the Mughal cannons
could be placed over it and fired inside the fort. The
important places inside are, the temple of Tulja Bhawani
(the tutelary goddess of the scribes), the Naulakha
Bhandar or nine lakh treasury, Singar Chauri, depicting
inscriptions dating back to 1448 AD. Sat -bis-Deori, the
old Jain temple etc.